Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Birthdays and Growing Old

Growing Old isn't bad when you have the right people for company

Does anyone know of a man who forgot his wife’s birthday?

No, because he didn’t survive to tell the tale.

Birthdays are special, apart from the fact that they arrive every year to remind you that you are growing old. I don’t usually wait a year to enlighten Sumita, my wife, with this sombre news; I point it out to her every day! Especially on her birthday, which falls on the 12th day of September.

But then, there’s a charm in growing old together. There’s a wealth of experience to look back upon. Stories to retell over the dinner table. Subtle moments of déjà vu. Been there. Done that.

Among all the things I recall and relive is a memory from exactly a decade ago. The first time Sumita and I celebrated this special day together.

We were young, freshly in love, seeing the world in each other’s eyes. Girlfriend and boyfriend, yet to be knit together in social binding. I recall riding with my trusted Intrepido through the traffic-free lanes of the city early in the morning in a bid to surprise her. Yawning into the morning air brushing against my face, struggling to keep my eyes open. Excitement bubbled within me as I approached my destination. A golden sun languidly climbed up the stairs of the sky.

I remember her surprise when she caught her first glimpse of me on the deserted lane outside her house.

I recall that early morning motorcycle ride together, the world our oyster. Years later, and a multitude of birthday parties down the line, that brilliant day at the beginning of September remains mint fresh.

Growing old is inevitable, as inevitable as time itself. It is a journey of self-discovery, of learning the ways of life. Of becoming a better, wiser version of yourself. Meeting people, weathering storms, and finding a reason to keep moving.

Perhaps staying young is overrated. Or maybe that’s just old people talk.

My trusted Intrepido, witness to that day a decade ago, has picked up the years as well. Needless to say, I have joined the party too, with a generous dosage of greys in my hair. I guess growing old isn’t half bad when you have your favorite people for company. It is who you grow old with that matters.

Happy Birthday Sumita. Here’s to a hundred more. And good luck explaining to Messi why he is missing from this picture.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much 😊❤️love you 💖😗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle to recognize you, random commentor, but I am assuming that you are my wife and not some crazy stalker, in which case I have to admit that I love you too.

      Delete

More from Deepungsu