Sunday, January 21, 2024

Marriage Anniversaries, Time and Tide

 

Match made in heaven, but perfected on Earth.

Those who say Time and Tide wait for none are probably bachelors.

Because married people will know that Mr. Time and Mr. Tide have to wait for their Mrs.

Mr. Time will have to wait while the missus chooses a dress. Mr. Tide will have to sit solemnly with his wife and wait while she shops for new clothes.

The bachelors of the world are unlikely to be abreast of such wisdom. It is only the married masses who have been enlightened with this resourceful information. I'm sure my married pals will agree. In private, of course.

Interestingly, on this day, ten years ago, I registered my name among the enlightened bunch, the patient waiters. Sumita was officially promoted to the position of my better half. We were locked in wedlock, all set to face the world hand in hand.

I used to imagine that sharing a house with me would be fun, but have, over time, realized that such a statement might not be entirely true. I do have a penchant for sarcastic humor, a tendency to irritate people, and a proclivity for pranks. Needless to say, my wife has been my favorite subject in the past decade. A full-time, walking, talking, occasionally complaining candidate at my disposal.

One of the perks of being married I must add.

However, marriage isn't all fun and games, and it's not plain sailing either. It's a forest of emotions. It has more flavors than a ten-course meal, all the colors of a rainbow. Marriage has ups and downs and highs and lows. Yet, it is also a journey powered by love.

When Mr. Time and Mr. Tide agree to wait on their better halves, it is perhaps simply because of love.

Love. The essence of life. So hard to find that one person who matches your wavelength, and withstands your bad humour. Who is willing to be the butt of your jokes, but also hold your hands when you cry. Be that shoulder when you need one, but also knock some sense in you when required.

I found this love of a lifetime more than a decade ago, and then bound her in wedlock, just to be sure.

So, I am willing to join my learned friends Time and Tide at their table. We wait on our better halves, although, in truth, our wait was already over the day they walked into our lives.

Ten years have been a delight, Sumita, here's to many, many more. However, I also have to warn you that things are about to get serious now. There’s a young prankster in the house, picking up the tricks of the day by the minute. The best – of everything – is yet to come.

4 comments:

More from Deepungsu